Solaris Invictus is a 16 year-old student at the Continental Academy in the Black Sheep house. He is an awakened Mage and carries on his family's long running tradition of having abilities related to the sun in one way or another. Like his father and several before him, he plans to become a Legionnaire and work in law enforcement.
The Invictus household has existed for many years, and while not exactly high ranking nobility, they and their family's work is well known among much of the empire. Solaris comes from a line of Law Enforcement, Emergency Response, and other high-risk social services. Many believe that the Invictus house has some kind of genetic disposition to selflessness and danger. Solaris' particular branch of the family most of all, being of the Dawn branch, the branch of Warriors. Solaris was no exception to this as a child, often getting into fights with bullies, and doing minor things like saving animals from trees. As occasionally happens to members of the Invictus household due to their nature and lifestyles, Solaris' father Daylen was killed in the line of duty shortly before Solaris enrolled in the Continental Academy.
While many would consider it a tragedy, all members of the Invictus household believe that the dead best be remembered fondly rather than mourned over. Almost more shocking than Daylen's death was the mark of the Unconquered Sun choosing his untrained son over several accomplished members of the family.
Solaris puts on a front of a child from a military family, doing his utmost to handle situations with a calm and businesslike attitude. What will become clear if one spends enough time with him is that Solaris is far more idealistic than he lets on. He is forever optimistic and hopes for the best of all those around him, regardless of any specific disposition they have toward him. While he is confident in his abilities, he does not often let this confidence show outwardly being honest about his capabilities when confronted, but doing his utmost to not present himself as anything more than he is.
Like almost every member of his family, Solaris is selfless to a fault. Should he believe the well being of another person is in danger he will throw himself into that danger without hesitation to save them. Though this selflessness is tempered by his sense of duty. Raised in a family that serves others almost exclusively, Solaris does not question authority. Be it a family member of superior rank, or an authority figure such as a military officer, Solaris will perform acts that he disagrees with morally if he is ordered to do so. His disposition makes him a very effective soldier, always working toward his goals with minimal casualties, but willing to do the unpleasant should the need arise.
Powers and Abilities Edit
Dawn Caste Edit
Each member of the Invictus family has a magical seal placed on their body shortly after their awakening. Serving as a catalyst for their powers, the Caste Mark can be placed anywhere on the body, though most choose to display them. Solaris has a Dawn Caste Mark in the center of his forehead. The Caste Mark will mature and increase in potency as the overall power of those marked with it increases. While normally invisible, it shines brighter and brighter the more Solaris uses his magic.
- Solar Supremacy: One of the main effects of the Dawn Caste is to channel magical power into one's body, making them far superior warriors. Solaris is not only significantly stronger and faster than a normal person, but will pick up on any combat related skill many times more quickly than normal.
- Invictus Ignis: A common ability of Dawn Castes is to summon the Invictus Ignis, a magical golden flame. While at a glance it is indistinguishable from normal fire aside from it's color, it will only burn that which Solaris chooses. In addition, it may burn things traditionally not able to be burned by normal flames. When doing so, the rate at which is burns depends on the density of the object. Gases and most liquids will ignite as quickly as gasoline, while solid objects will burn more slowly. Even when burning the non-flammable, the flames still carry heat to the object they cover, allowing the flames to do things like soften stone or metal with prolonged contact.
The Unconquered Sun Edit
The Mark of the Unconquered Sun was created by Daystar, the founder of the Invictus Family, as his last act before his death. Daystar held a great wealth of abilities, as such the Unconquered Sun has great potential. Unlike the modern Caste Marks which are granted, The Unconquered Sun is chosen by the mark itself. The criteria used to choose the new Unconquered Sun are unknown, and no one has been able to discover a clear pattern. Even the abilities granted to the new Unconquered Sun seem to vary depending on the individual. Every Unconquered Sun has been an unquestionable master in their field, wielding power far greater than any other member of their family. This is largely due to the fact that all modern Caste Marks are based on what little understanding Invictus scholars have of the Unconquered Sun. In the case of Solaris, he has been the Unconquered Sun for such a short time, that he can not yet fully utilize it's power. He has already received and used several abilities granted by it, though he is not conscious of them.
- Intention: The Unconquered Sun's will is so vast that his desires can influence even inanimate objects. This power allows Solaris to infuse magic power into an object, and then give the object a mental command that it will follow. This ability is actually emulated on a limited scale for each of the castes and is what grants the Invictus Ignis it's selective burning properties. When giving a command, the effort and amount of magic required depends on the complexity of the command. A simple command such as "Grab things." Would be easier to impart than "Grab things other than me.". Solaris currently is unaware that he has the capability to give commands to anything other than his flames.
- Sunforge: Solaris is aware of this power but is not well trained in it's use. Sunforging in essence is the ability to imbue things with magical power to make them more suited to whatever task the object is used for. Sunforging has been been used in the past to create tools that never rust and are supernaturally efficient, as well as a host of magical weapons. Solaris' skill with the ability is far more mundane, as his control over his power is so lacking that he can only Sunforge an item by gradually filling it with his power over the course of making it. Even taking his time, Solaris has only found himself able to Sunforge various kinds of art he makes.
- Unconquered: One ceases to be the Unconquered Sun only in death, and until their last breath, no person or force can control them. The Unconquered sun is a bastion of unyielding willpower and determination. As a result, the Unconquered Sun is greatly resistant to any force that would impede or slow them. This extends from simple pains and injuries to magical mind control or possession. It is said that every Unconquered Sun to have died in battle did so standing tall, not falling even in death.
Solar Hero Style Edit
Solaris is highly gifted and unarmed combat, and uses it as his primary means of fighting. While the time to do so was limited, Solaris did receive a degree of training with his powers prior to enlistment in the Continental Academy. Largely due to the natural skill granted by the Dawn Caste Mark, and partially due to his own natural talent, that training was enough for Solaris to develop a martial art he calls Solar Hero Style. While straightforward and blunt, there is a form of grace to Solaris' fighting, as he has practiced to weave his physical attacks together with his magical abilities. Many of the techniques of still style can be performed in a variety of situations, using different set ups to achieve the same result.
- Rising Sun/Falling Sun: The Rising Sun is a simple technique, and involves any upward attack such as an uppercut or a flying knee, coupled with a blast of Invictus Ignis that bursts from the point of impact. It's sister technique, the Falling Sun is similar but with downward attacks like axe kicks.
- Prominence: Prominence is the name of what begins as a simple flurry of attacks. Shortly after beginning his rush, thin blasts of Invictus Ignis will follow the paths that Solaris earlier strikes had, trapping his opponent in a maelstrom of physical and magical offense.
- Superflare: Superflare is a technique more focused on releasing as much power in a single strike as possible. Solaris coats his arms in Invictus Ignis, and floods his arms with magical power to magnify the potency of the flames. He then strikes with both arms simultaneously, striking his opponents torso and creating a burst of flames large enough to engulf a human body, which leaves the victim aflame should the initial explosion not finish them.